PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 15 minutes
A perfect treat for the holidays or just because; this brittle made with Ziba’s roasted and salted apricot kernels is crunchy, crackly, and just the right amount of sweet. You can substitute our apricot kernels with our Shakhurbai almonds, baby pistachios or a combination of all three for an edible mosaic of flavors. Eat it by the slab or crush it over ice cream – it’s sweet-tooth indulgence at its best.
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup raw sugar
- ½ cup corn syrup
- 1 cup Ziba roasted and salted apricot kernels
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cookie sheet/baking tray, lined with parchment
- 4 Quart heavy saucepan
- Candy thermometer
- Silicone spatula
- Combine water, sugar, and corn syrup in your saucepan over medium-high heat. Do not stir.
- After sugar has dissolved and you start to smell a hint of caramel, place the candy thermometer in the mixture. No stirring yet!
- Monitor the temperature until it reaches 270°F. When you reach 270°F add the Ziba apricot kernels in and stir continuously, using your spatula, until the temperature reaches 300°F.
- Once you reach 300°F, remove the pan from the heat. Add in the butter, baking soda and vanilla. Almost immediately, the mixture should start to foam. Continue stirring until the butter is fully integrated.
- Pour out the mixture onto the parchment-lined baking tray, and be sure to spread as close to a one-kernel thickness as possible before the mixture starts to harden (we start at one corner and move across the parchment, using the spatula to spread the mixture).
- The mixture will harden within 10-15 minutes, but we recommend waiting a full 30 minutes for it to cool.
- Once fully cooled, break the brittle (we use the back of a spoon) and store the shards in an airtight container. The brittle will keep for up to 3 weeks.