PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes, plus overnight soaking
SERVES: 8 people
A variation on the classic Spanish “Ajo Blanco” made with our heirloom Gurbandi or Shakhurbai Almonds. Perfect for lunch on a sunny day with crusty bread or as an appetizer for dinner on an extended summer evening.
- 1 cup whole Ziba Almonds, either raw or roasted and salted, soaked overnight for 12 hours and drained
- 1 apple, cored and chopped (peel if you prefer a more refined soup)
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and quartered
- 1 large clove of garlic
- 2 slices of bread*, toasted and cubed
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cups cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste if using dry roasted and salted almonds)
- Put the almonds, apple, cucumber and garlic in a blender with one cup of cold water and pulse until incorporated.
- Add the bread, apple cider vinegar, and the second cup of cold water. Process in the blender until smooth.
- Run the blender again and pour in the olive oil slowly.
- Taste and add salt as needed.
- Refrigerate until serving.
*Optional: use gluten free bread to keep the recipe gluten free